When I became Vegan, my biggest worry was “what about cheese???” Would I never be able to have creamy fettucini alfredo anymore? What about my favorite meat lasagna I make on special occasions? No more bleu cheese on my burgers either? I could not come to terms with not having cheese in my life, so naturally, I looked for alternatives. To my surprise, there are TONS of Vegan cheeses out in the market (my favorite being Daiya Cheeses).
Although there were good vegan cheeses for burgers, pizza, sandwiches, etc., there wasn’t a really good Vegan alternative to cheese sauces (not any I liked anyway). I did some research and went to the kitchen to start my experimenting.
CASHEWS=AMAZING BASE FOR CHEESE SAUCES
I had to first decide what kind of cheese I wanted to make and for what dish. Mac & Cheese was the first dish to come to mind; it’s an American favorite, I had to. It definitely took me a couple of go’s, but nonetheless, the end result was definitely rewarding. I had made Vegan Mac & Cheese that ACTUALLY tasted like Mac & Cheese. After one bite of that Mac & Cheese, I felt like Liz Lemon from 30 Rock; happiest when eating cheese.
This Vegan Mac & Cheese is creamy, cheesy, and satisfying in every bite – definitely a must for cheese lovers who are Vegan.
1 cup raw cashews (you’ll have to soak them overnight)
1/2 white onion (finely chopped)
4-5 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cup Veggie Broth
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 Tbsp Paprika (adjust according to desired spice level)
2.5 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
2 Tbsp Daiya Mozeralla Cheese
Salt as needed
1 box of whole grain elbow pasta
- Boil the pasta as per the instructions in the box.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions – saute until translucent and then add the garlic. Roast the garlic in the pan with onions for 2 minutes.
- In a blender, add all the remaining ingredients as well as the onions and garlic. Blend on the liquify setting of your blender. You may need to scrap the sides to make sure it’s all well combined.
- You can adjust the taste accordingly. I didn’t find my sauce to be as spicy as I’d like, so I added more paprika.
- Once blended, add the sauce back into the same pan you used to cook the onions and garlic- cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add in the cheese sauce. Mix it all together so every bit of pasta is covered in your cheese sauce. Adjust salt according to taste as well as spice level.
- Serve hot and Enjoy 🙂
It’s really THAT easy to get your cheese fix as a Vegan!