‘On Tuesdays, we have spaghetti.’
There are certain recipes and dishes that I hold very close to my heart because of all the sweet memories attached to them, this is one of them. 🙂
For as long as I can remember, Spaghetti Tuesdays has been a tradition in my family. Every Tuesday night my dad would cook dinner and he always made his signature dish, Spaghetti with Meat Sauce. Since I was a kid and up until our last spaghetti dinner before I got married, I was dad’s little helper. I would chop up all the vegetables and peel the garlic, but making the sauce was all him; he wouldn’t let anybody touch his sauce, it had to be perfect!
It was always fun helping Dad with spaghetti Tuesdays because it always felt like a mini party. He’d open up a bottle of wine (to feel even more Italian hehe), we’d blast our favorite Jazz OR old Bollywood songs, and dad would be singing loud enough to get everyone’s attention. It’s one of my fondest memory since I was young and until I got married; ‘on Tuesdays, we have spaghetti.’
My dad makes his spaghetti extra fatty and extremely spicy, but it never fails to disappoint. If anything, it tastes better and better each time he makes it. He always makes it with ground beef, I always make it with ground turkey; it’s really just a matter of personal preference. In my opinion, beef adds a bit more flavor than the turkey, but I make turkey because it’s leaner.
Whenever I miss my dad, I make spaghetti just the way he makes it-extra olive oil and extra spicy.
-I prefer using Classico Pasta sauce (two 24 oz jars of Classico-Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic and one 24 oz jar of Classico-Spicy Tomato & Basil), you can use your preferred pasta sauce instead as well.
-I use ground turkey because it’s a lean meat, you can easily use ground pork or ground beef as well- it’s really a personal preference.
-I intentionally did not put a certain measuring amount of olive oil since the amount you put really depends on you. I like adding a lot of olive oil so I really just eyeball it. No such thing as too much olive oil!
1 LB Spaghetti Pasta
Three 24 oz jars of Classico Pasta Sauce* (see Notes)
16 oz Lean Ground Turkey (1 package)
1 Red onion, finely chopped
3-4 Jalapenos, finely chopped (adjust according to your desired spice level)
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp Paprika (adjust according to your desired spice level)
3-4 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
Salt to taste
Olive Oil (lots and lots of it)* (See Notes)
- Cook spaghetti pasta as instructed on box.
- In a large pan, drizzle in some olive oil and add the onions and jalapenos. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add garlic, cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground turkey. Make sure to break apart the ground turkey in small bite size chunks by mixing often.
- Once the turkey has cooked completely, add in all your spices (salt, paprika, Italian seasoning, and red chili powder), cook for 5-10 minutes so the meat can absorb all the spices.
- Add the pasta sauce and mix well, let simmer for 20-25 minutes on low heat. Make sure to taste your sauce to see if any adjustments need to be made with the spices.
- Serve with spaghetti pasta and garnish with shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy!