North Indian food always was and still is the primary cuisine of our house and in our family. I personally have always loved Indian food; from all the different meat dishes to the vegetarian dishes, I could never get sick of it. Since I got married, I found myself making more and more of Indian food and less of my beloved Italian food.
Indian food has always felt like comfort for me; I make it especially when I miss my Mom or my Grandmother. Before I got married, I would watch my mom cook like it was a breeze, but when I first attempted it I was completely intimidated. Indian food actually is very easy to make, you just have to know your spices.
Punjabi chicken is one of those dishes that takes me straight back to my childhood. My mom or Aunt would make this, usually with Rajma (red beans curry) and a buttered up roti or naan. It has so many different flavors and you can adjust it in any way you seem fit. The recipe is quite simple and easy to follow; the end result is very satisfying and extremely delicious.
If you’re like me then you can spice it up by adding more jalapenos or more red chili powder. Serve it with some garlic butter naan, a tall glass of sweet lassi, and you’re golden!
2-3 lb pack Chicken Breasts- Cut into medium sized cubes
2 Onions- cut into thick chunks
2-3 Jalapenos-cut into thick chunks
2 Tbsp Ginger Paste
1-2 Tbsp Cumin (Jeera)
1 Tbsp Cloves (Laung)
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp Paprika
1-2 Tbsp Red Chili Powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 Tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Powder
1 15 oz Can of Tomato Sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and cook the chicken, keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and add the onions, jalapenos, ginger paste, cumin, and cloves. Cook until it browns completely.
- Once the mixture has completely browned, transfer it to a food processor and blend it until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Put the paste back into the same pan with a little oil and cook it until it browns.
- Add salt, paprika, red chili powder, and cumin powder to the paste. Cook for additional 5-8 minutes.
- Add the chicken with 1/4 cup of water. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for additional 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy. 🙂