We all have those days, we come home exhausted from a long day of work and don’t want to go through the hassle of making an extravagant dinner. Cooking is my passion, but even I need days where I can just whip up something quick and easy. In fact, that’s exactly how I came up with this recipe!
I was on my way home from work and needed to think of something for dinner that wouldn’t take too long to make. I thought about what I had in my fridge and decided to go with some sort of flatbread. Initially, I was going to use Puff Pastry as I did with my Puff Pastry Pizza recipe, but wanted to for something that had a little bit more crunch to it. I used whole wheat Greek Pita bread instead and I was so glad I did. I think I actually may like this more than my Puff Pastry Pizza, to be honest.
The pita bread really adds a crunch to the flatbread and it compliments the other ingredients so well, almost as if they were made to be cooked together. I grabbed any other ingredients I had in my fridge to use for my flatbread. I had salami, cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken, and of course cheese- I always have cheese.
These flatbread pizzas literally took no longer than 15 minutes to make total, 5 for assembling and 10 for baking. It really doesn’t get any easier than this.
You can always add any kind of variation of ingredients on your flatbread. Remember, experimentation often leads to the most delightful tastes. Have fun and Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
2 slices of Whole Wheat Greek Pita Bread (1 piece of bread is good for 1 person)
2 cloves Peeled Garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup of Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, cut in halves
4-6 Slices of Pepperoni- cut in halves
1/2 cup Grilled Chicken- cut into thin strips
1 Tbsp Crushed Red Peppers
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic and olive oil. Keep aside.
- Put both slices of pita bread on a baking sheet, facing up.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the olive oil and garlic mixture on top of each piece of pita bread.
- Top each piece with cheese (half Parmesan & half Mozzarella), making sure to lay it out evenly throughout.
- Add half the tomatoes and salami (or your desired toppings) on one piece.
- Add the other half of tomatoes and grilled chicken on the other piece, bake in the oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and you can see the pita bread is brown around the edges.
- Cut into slices with a pizza cutter and serve hot. Enjoy 🙂