A couple of weekends ago, I was in Las Vegas with my husband and our friends for Memorial Day Weekend. We decided to have lunch near Paris at this adorable French café, Mon Ami Gabi, one of our favorite places to go on the strip. I ordered a chicken and mushroom crepe and holy moly!! It was the most delicious thing I had eaten; I was actually having a moment with my food.
It was just incredible; the chicken was perfectly cooked and tender, the mushrooms were sautéd just right, and the sauce was just out of this world good. I fell so in love with this dish that I became inspired and decided to re-create it without the crepe component.
I basically took the crepe out of the equation and made chicken breasts in creamy mushroom sauce; it was seriously way too delicious for our own good. The sauce was so rich and creamy that we felt like a nap was much needed after we ate.
What I love about French food is how it consists of minimal ingredients to create something so flavorful and elegant. This particular recipe only requires a small number of ingredients that you will most likely have in your kitchen already. This recipe is very easy to follow and the end result is just magnificent. This dish is sure to impress your family and friends at your next dinner get together; it hits all the right spots with all the amazing flavors.
When I made this dish, it reminded me very closely of Julia Child’s Poulet au Champagne, which basically is the same concept except for the champagne component.
4 Chicken Breasts
2.5 cups Sliced Mushrooms
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1-1.5 cups Heavy Cream
1/2 stick Butter
Pinch of Crushed Red Pepper
Salt & Pepper
Parsley Flakes for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Take a skillet and drizzle some olive oil on medium high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook completely, about 3-5 minutes for each side. Set aside for later.
- In a medium skillet, melt 1/2 a stick of butter, add in the sliced mushrooms. Be careful not to overcrowd them so if you need to, use a larger skillet.
- Add in the garlic and let it cook with the mushrooms until the mushrooms start to brown a little.
- Add the heavy cream and a pinch (or two) of crushed red peppers to the skillet. Let that cook for 4-5 minutes until the consistency starts to thicken.
- Add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. About half way, baste the chicken with the mushroom sauce to keep it moist.
- Garnish with parsley flakes and enjoy 🙂